Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 12:32:29 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why not CVS server support ?

> > Hi !
> >
> > Why don't we support cvs server in the base OS ?
>
> (I assume you mean the cvs pserver mode?) Why would we want to?

And what gives you the impression we don't support it?  I'm using cvs
pserver mode with the cvs that was distributed in FreeBSD.  It works
fine, but like all CVS installation it requires setup of the CVS server
and such, so you can't support it 'out of the box' anymore than it
already is.

If you mean why doesn't freefall support it, it's because of security
and use.

> pserver mode has had a few security violations in the past, and it
> wouldn't surprise me if has been turned of for that reason.

It takes a bit of work to make pserver mode secure, and those security
precautions simply weren't taken since the remote CVS stuff doesn't work
well enough to use it on a regular basis.

Nate