Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 1997 03:10:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        escher@ddyne.com
Cc:        mike@sentex.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building a multiport router out of FreeBSD

Samuel D. Brown wrote:
> Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >         We are going to be upping our connection to the net to 5Mbps
> > in the near
> > future.  Our upstream provider is going to provide us with a managed
> > CISCO
> > that we will have no access to unfortunately.  Since we have fairly
> > complex
> > routing requirements, we need some sort of multi port router in the
> > office.
> > Considering I can build a Pentium 133 with a 4 Ethernet cards for
> > around
> > $1200 Canadian (~$800 USD), this is significantly cheaper and in some
> > ways
>
>     My experience with using FreeBSD as a dedicated router is that while
> it works like a charm, is trouble free and easy to configure, there
> remain human-noticable slow downs in transmission introduced by the box,
> even at low loads.  If performance is important to you, and if you have
> the money to spare, going with a hardware dedicated routing product will
> give you distinctly better performance.
>         S.

Hello,

I've had atleast 4 routers based on BSD installed at customer sites.  These
machines have ranged from a 486SX-25 with 8MB which only had two interfaces,
static routing and only had a 128k ISDN load to a AMD K5-166 with 128MB and
5 interfaces running GateD in full routing.  You have to have the right
ethernet cards to even have a chance at getting good work out of it.
Right now, run the Intel cards and you should have no problems keeping up
with a couple of ethernets and a 5meg (4 T-1s????) dedicated link.

Gary

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team