Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 00:43:44 -0700
From:      dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Rino Mardo <rmardo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Eric Lam <ecrim@earthlink.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD System Utilities?

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 12:37:34PM +0800, Rino Mardo wrote:
> 1. fsck is all you need and it's run when needed or you can call it manually
> too

1.1 You do not need to "de-frag" your Unix disks. :)

> 2. there are no virus problems with *nix.

2.1 There have been a few computer viruses, mostly worms, written for
Unix.  There have been more of these lately, specifically targetting
Linux.  The nature of Unix security tends to make these things have a
much much harder time of doing much reasonable damage, but that doesn't
mean they can't and don't exist.

2.2 Sophos Anti-Virus offer their SWEEP program on a wide variety of
Unix platforms.  This is handy more for scanning for Windows viruses on
your file / email server, per se, but it is nice to know that they are
there.  I have been quite pleased with this anti-virus vendor.

-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/