Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 1998 18:16:02 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LS-120, Riva 128, ASUS motherboard

On Fri, Jan 09, 1998 at 05:21:15PM +1030, Mike Smith wrote:
>> I've seen this claim before from numerous places, but they all refer
>> to Tom's Hardware Guide.
>
> I did?

Indirectly.  You didn't name any source that didn't refer directly or
indirectly to them.

>> I've read the stuff there.  What he says is
>> that he can't see how the TX chipset can cache more than 64 MB without
>> an external tag RAM, and that he can't see how to support the tag RAM.
>
> That sounds like a pretty good way to start.  8)

Agreed.  It doesn't

>> I have a TX board (IWill P55XB2) with 96 MB and something on the board
>> which looks like a tag RAM, but haven't got round to measuring it (or
>> even finding something I can measure with).
>
> What makes it "look like a tag RAM"?

It's long, thin, black, has legs, and is near the cache chips.  Sure,
it could be lots of other things, but I wasn't able to locate the part
number.

>> The board supports up to 256 MB, and nothing in the documentation
>> refers to any cache limitation.  I'd be very interested if somebody
>> could come up with independent information.
>
> I would recommend Intel's website and the datasheets for the 430TX
> chipset.

URL?  Yes, I know I'm lazy.  But I have other things which I find more
pressing.

Greg