Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:10:50 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, des@ofug.org, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: caddr_t sweep

In message <20020316225716.I28305-100000@gamplex.bde.org>, Bruce Evans writes:
>On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>
>> In message: <xzp7kodxki8.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no>
>>             Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> writes:
>> : I'm preparing a sweep that will remove incorrect caddr_t casts in
>> : copy{in,out,str,instr}(), bcopy() and bzero() calls in the kernel.
>>
>> i'd like to take a look at this patch before you commit it please.
>> There are many driver uses of bcopy that are non-obvious and likely
>> should be bus_space_read instead...
>
>Maybe limit it to copy* and other userland interfaces (mmap?) then.
>There are also some bcopies which should be struct assignments.

I would like the argument in ioctl funtions to either become
a void * argument or for caddr_t to become a void *.

I did a testshot on LINT with caddr_t as a void * and the fallout
is surprisingly moderate.

That said, any journey starts with the first step so rather than
hold up DES, I think DES should go ahead, and Warner can look for
busspace_ improvements in a separate commit and Bruce can look
for struct assignments in a separate sweep.

I suspect that DES' patch is pretty much program generated anyway,
so I don't see a value to "polluting" it with manual fixups.