Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 03:18:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Synchronous FT1 with Built-in CSU/DSU ISA/PCI

There have been a lot of posts looking for synch T1/FT1 PCI cards.  We
use the Sangoma ISA card with built-in CSU/DSU and have been quite
satisfied with its performance. The CSU/DSU appears to be a BAT module
and the software control/monitoring panel looks just like a BAT hardware
unit down to the flashing LEDs and testing functions - just as sparse but
sufficient to our purpose.  From their news brief, it looks like the PCI
card is now available.

We have paired these with Livingston, Cray, BAT, Eastern Research and
each other with no more than the usual turnup problems, fewer than many.
It's nice having the driver code available

Also, the freebsd driver has been rewritten.  It needed it as the
existing driver was at the 97% completion level.  I have not tried it yet
but will do so on our next VPN Access Controller.

The news briefs follow:

news briefs---------------------------------------

PCI S514/FT1 with integral T1 DSU/CSU shipping
February 11, 2000

The S514/FT1 PCI card has a built in T1 and Fractional T1 DSU/CSU. The card is
software configurable to run at speeds from 64kbps to 1.54Mbps in steps of
64kbps. It is similar in all details to the S508/FT1, except that it is PCI
based and requires no jumper settings. The North American retail price is
$869.00 US.

WANPIPE Version: 1.1.0 for FreeBSD Versions 3.1+
February 5, 2000

This is a complete rewrite of Sangoma WANPIPE for FreeBSD-3.x that supports
both S508 and the new S514 PCI cards, including the integrated DSU/CSU /FT1
versions. It supports Cisco HDLC, Frame Relay and PPP.

The major difference from previous driver versions is that you don't need
re-compile kernel each time you change the protocol type. In the new
version you only need to stop all routers, reboot your machine, run the
configuration program to edit the corresponding router configuration file
and start the routers again.

The new version supports two different modes: WANPIPE for routing and a
user API for transparent user data transfer. The API is very standard,
using the Berkeley Packet Filter.

The code includes an installation script (Setup) that copies the files to
the kernel tree directory and creates sample configuration files. A full
screen based configuration utility (wancfg) is included, that automatically
creates all configuration files. This user friendly interface does
parameter checking and has comprehensive context sensitive help. It is the
same utility that runs on WANPIPE under Linux. A similar utility, cfgft1
configures the DSU/CSU interactively.

I have no connection with Sangamo but I do like to see good products
succeed, particularly when they support FreeBSD specifically.  The support
has been very good, both from David Mandelstam <dm@sangoma.com> and from
the fairly active users group.  It looks like they plan to continue that
support.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio