Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 14:48:12 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for Win emulation ...

Hello!

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 09:09:30AM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Have you tried Wine?  I have updated the port over the last two weeks,
> just one patch (ports/18877 in GNATS) is missing.
[...]
> Please let us know any experiences you've made!

I have managed to get Wine to compile and install using the hack you
provided in this message on a machine with a -CURRENT from yesterday.

However, that was about all... I have not been able to get any windows apps
to work properly. Must note, however, that I do not
have a windows partition at all, I install the apps under wine. (and do not
have any standard windows dlls, either, only the ones that the apps
install by themselves.) This procedure has never worked for large things
but winamp or RealPlayer have been able to install and work *almost right*
under the previous snapshots. Now I even get:

ld-elf.so.1: assert failed: /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/lockdflt.c:54

which is weird. After this  the app just hangs and I have to kill it by
hand, 'wine' and sometimes 'wineserver' separately. This is not much joy:-(

In order to clarify it once more: This is -CURRENT from 29th May and
wine-2000-05-26 built from ports cvsupped today.

If I can be of any assistance, I'll be glad to help...
--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University