Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:00:17 +0000
From:      James Higgins <jhhiggins@pop.prodigy.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        zjmf4@Access.ETSU.Edu
Subject:   2.2.6 Hard lockup with ppp

Hello,

I downloaded and set up  FreeBSD 2.2.6 - RELEASE
directly off ftp2.freebsd.org on the following machine:

AMD K6 233
64 meg RAM
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller
Intel EtherExpress 16  (Not found by kernel)
Quantum Bigfoot 4.3gb IDE Hard Disk
US Robotics Internal 56k X2 modem
ATI 3D Graphics Pro PC2TV 8meg PCI Video Card

Only the BIN and DES packags were installed.

I then set up the machine to connect to my ISP using the user mode
ppp.  The PPP setup was a copy from another machine that uses the
same account and works perfectly.  The ISP authenticates with PAP.

When the modem conects the machine lock cold requiring the power to
be reset.  No keyboard activity, no ctrl-alt-delete no anything.

Since we did not download the src distribution we have not compiled a
custom kernel yet.

 Any ideas on what kills it??

James Higgins
zjhh2@etsu.edu

Note: please CC: replys to me, I am unable to watch the list traffic
due to the high load. Thanks ; )
James Higgins
zjhh2@etsu.edu