Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 18:52:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Glenn Chisholm <glenn@ircache.net>, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, Michael Mannsberger <mannsber@starmedia.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (2) hey

Today Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> > RFC 952
> >
> >    1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
> >    to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
> >    sign (-), and period (.).  Note that periods are only allowed when
> >    they serve to delimit components of "domain style names".
> >
> > RFC 1101
> >
> >    The current syntax for network names, as defined by [RFC 952] is an
> >    alphanumeric string of up to 24 characters, which begins with an
> >    alpha, and may include "." and "-" except as first and last
> >    characters.  This is the format which was also used for host names
> >    before the DNS.  Upward compatibility with existing names might be a
> >    goal of any new scheme.
> >
> > The above two documents limit the characters that may be used a a _ is not
> > one of them. FreeBSD behaves correctly in this manner.
>
> But the DNS is used to hold all sorts of information.  For example, how do
> you reconcile domain names like:
>
> 	42.10.202.144.IN-ADDR.ARPA
>
> in the DNS?  It violates the "starts with alpha" "requirement" in 952 and 1101
> that you quotes, yet we use these things all the time.  In fact, you can

Read RFC 1123, it makes that perfectly valid.

   2.1  Host Names and Numbers

      The syntax of a legal Internet host name was specified in RFC-952
      [DNS:4].  One aspect of host name syntax is hereby changed: the
      restriction on the first character is relaxed to allow either a
      letter or a digit.  Host software MUST support this more liberal
      syntax.

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null