Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:33:32 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenGL

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 08:31:18PM -0500, Randall Hopper wrote:
> I exprerienced the same result when I did just as you did, "before" I
> installed and loaded the DRM module (mga.ko in my case) into my kernel.
> There's something weird about XFree86 CVS w/o a DRM module loaded that
> needs some debugging.  I found I could suppress this reboot either by
> commenting out the glx, dri, and GLcore modules in XF86Config, or by adding
> the mga_load line to my loader.conf.

I load the r128.ko module (the video card is an ATI Rage128 Pro) before
starting the Xserver. Of course, if I comment out the "Load dri" line,
everything works fine.

> But I see you have an r128.ko module loaded.  Are you sure this is from the
> XFree86 CVS build?  Might be worth a double check.

Indeed it is.

> Also I notice you have agp, acpi, and sound drivers loaded as modules.
> This is probably irrelevent, but I had those compiled into my kernel (just
> looking for anything different you mentioned from what worked here).  Also
> 5.0-current vs. 4.3-stable w/ patches.  Rage 128 Pro vs. Matrox G450.  ...

Yes... 5.0-CURRENT or ATI Rage128. One of them must be the culprit, I
think.

--
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **