Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:13:41 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        vehemens <vehemens@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] drm updates

--=-ZbfhHssoBVI8pBbfcg09

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 22:40 -0700, vehemens wrote:
> [...]
> > > Interestingly enough, it seems like it dumps a bitmap of the last ima=
ge
> > > of the text console to the root window, the one I would see before th=
> > > video mode switched after running startx. The mouse cursor works for =
> > > little while, as it seems compiz is beginning to load from the
> > > gnome-session manager. I never actually see any screen updates occur
> > > while it is starting up. Then, at some point the system just freezes =
and
> > > I need to hard-power-off the laptop, by holding down the power button
> > > until it is forced off.
> > >
> > > With the ati driver and DRI+EXA, running startx causes the X server t=
> > > begin to load, then changes the video mode and blanks the screen. Onc=
> > > the screen has been cleared, the server freezes and no loading procee=
ds.
> > > I can reset the system by doing an ALT-CTRL-DELETE or by doing
> > > soft-power-off by pressing, then releasing the power button (which
> > > FreeBSD-ACPI catches and gracefully shuts the machine down). The
> > > shutdown process must be held up by something in bufdaemon or other
> > > kernel service that typically counts down the "remaining" during a
> > > normal shutdown, of course I can't see which with the X server owning
> > > the display. Eventually the system is shutdown or restarted.
> > >
> > > At some point back in early June, it all started to work for me
> > > sometimes. Robert Noland threw a bunch of patches my way that fixed
> > > numerous locking issues in the kernel, which gradually made things mo=
re
> > > reliable for me. At some point in July, some commits to the sources
> > > resulted in intermittent crashing in the EXA code, which I was able t=
> > > reproduce with/without DRI enabled (always with EXA), when browsing
> > > various websites with firefox.
> > >
> > > Eventually, later on in July, I began to get the results that I
> > > currently get with DRI enabled. That is to say, it no longer ever wor=
ks
> > > for me under the ati driver (freezes X server at startup). I've never
> > > been able to get radeonhd to give me operational DRI support. If I am
> > > not using EXA, but have DRI enabled, radeonhd will start up properly,
> > > but will not display any DRI output (instead just displaying black wh=
ere
> > > the DRI stuff should be rendered).
> >
> > When I am using the xf86-video-ati driver, and I enable DRI, the server
> > never finishes starting (video made changes, but the root window and th=
> > cursor is never displayed). The following message is spammed from the
> > kernel (and ends up in /var/log/messages):
> >
> >  info: [drm] wait for fifo failed status : 0x9001C100 0x00080000
> >
> > For some reason, through a number of the failures I am now seeing the
> > following spammed to messages as well, when the server fails:
> >
> > Aug 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WARNING pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl
> > sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0106407 Aug 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WAR=
NING
> > pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0106401 =
Aug
> > 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WARNING pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl
> > sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0106401 Aug 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WAR=
NING
> > pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0106407 =
Aug
> > 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WARNING pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl
> > sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0286415 Aug 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WAR=
NING
> > pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0286415 =
Aug
> > 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WARNING pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl
> > sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0106426 Aug 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WAR=
NING
> > pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0106426 =
Aug
> > 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WARNING pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl
> > sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0086420 Aug 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WAR=
NING
> > pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff80086422 =
Aug
> > 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WARNING pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl
> > sign-extension ioctl ffffffff8008642a Aug 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WAR=
NING
> > pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0106438 =
Aug
> > 17 17:51:03 erwin kernel: WARNING pid 1414 (initial thread): ioctl
> > sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0286415
> >
> > I took a glance, and the "cmd" field in drm_ioctl_desc is an "unsigned
> > long", so I am now curious if perhaps this sign extension is resulting
> > in the wrong "cmd" value being passed to the drm ioctl handler, in my
> > amd64 case...
>=20
> Upgrading my M2A-VM bios to version 1603 was the trick to getting rid of =
a=20
> nasty flicker problem.  Now to repeat the various driver combinations aga=
in=20
> to see what other effects the update had.
>=20
> On a side note, I haven't been able to run any of the recent xservers wit=
hout=20
> getting a segmentation violation in the mouse driver at startup.  Are you=
=20
> seeing this problem as well?
> works:
> 2008-07-04 00:04:19
> d78bebb20a00e8519788c75c90b467a5750c78be
> broken:
> 2008-07-08 02:39:00
> 66fb253082ea42179180303393e48846208987fa

Yeah, you'll need to update to the latest inputproto, libXi, and the
xf86-input-mouse driver. The bsd-specific mouse bits gots moved around
and ar no longer in the xserver. They are now part of the mouse driver
code, iirc.

I needed commit f3f0a5520ed7edac3867a97f5a001b91c870563e to
xf86-input-mouse. The message that the server throws is highly unhelpful
in this situation.

--=20
Coleman Kane

--=-ZbfhHssoBVI8pBbfcg09