Date:      Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:19:49 -0400
From:      Hornet <hornetmadness@gmail.com>
To:        vladone <vladone@spaingsm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i can't block win98 computers

On 8/15/05, vladone <vladone@spaingsm.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I try to block some computers to acces my gateway based on MAC
> address.
> I use this ipfw rule:
>   ipfw add 100 deny mac any xx:yy:aa:bb:cc:dd in via $private_interface
> With this i can block XP computers but not work with Win98. I dont
> understand what is happened!
> I try against different computer with win98 OS and i can't block it.
> Only messenger is blocked but navigation work well. Computers with
> WinXP OS is blocked succesfull.
> I believe as is an problem with TCP packets that comming from Win98
> computers but i dont know how i can resolv this.
>=20
rg"
>=20

IIRC, 98 had a hacked down version of the TCP/IP stack opposed to the
normal unix stack.
All though I don't think this would be a issue, as 98 boxes would not
be able to use any type of switch if the TCP/IP stack did not have
some type of MAC header in it.

Clear your arp table and look to see if you get an arp address for the 98 b=
oxes.
You might find that you have a typo in the address, or pull the MAC
right off the card it self.