Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 18:44:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libc_r locking... why?

> Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:33:51 +0200
> From: Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
>
> I can't see how you make shure that on SMP systems all CPUs have
> the same meaning from memory content.
> Normaly you would use a mutex or similar before accessing a data range
> from another thread which also enshures that the CPU specific caches
> and buffers are syncronised.
> If you don't do this it may happen that you write a variable and
> another thread uses this variable using another CPU before the first
> CPU has writen this memory seeable for others and works with an
> outdated content.

Passing a token between threads.  When a thread has the token, it may
assert a lock or a mutex on an object.  Again, I subscribe to threads
being lightweight; cooperative sharing is better than preemptive or trying
to grab a lock before another thread does.

Any good references on MP standard?  Is the lock prefix the only way to
force cache coherency?

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence