Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:25:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        Mike Porter <mike.porter@xrxgsn.com>
Cc:        John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the magical incantation necessary to print to /dev/ulpt0

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Mike Porter wrote:

> is it possible (having looked over your dmesg and Mike Meyer's dmesg and
> noting no differences in the relevant areas, except the IRQ #) that the
> PCL3/HP500 emulation only works over the parallel port interface?  I guess
> this would tend to be disproved by the fact that it works under OS/2 without
> the driver.  I don't know enough about OS/2 to know if what you are doing
> really would bypass the driver, I'll take your word for that.  Are you
> running OS/2 on the same machine under a dual boot scenario, or is this two

The only real test is to take a file printed on windows for the HP500
printer. Then, from the bsd os, send that file to the z51 printer (you
choose the port) and see if it prints. I won't say it will not work, but I
would be surprised if it did. ..I'll tell you why. The chip on the Z51 is
very limited. There is not enough room to have an HP500 translater in the
hardware. The only way it could read HP500 is if the commands were NPA
commands or identical to the lexmark file format.

I would also like to see a copy of the file.
I can quickly tell you if it is in lexmark format.

Also, the port you are sending the file to should not matter. We 'blasted'
files to lexmark printers from various OS's all the time, both parallel
and USB ports, with no problems.

 Jim

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org