Date:               Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:22:36 -0500
From:      "Andrew Webster" <awebster@dataradio.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:         Re: PCNFS

> From:           Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
> Subject:        Re: PCNFS
> To:             hedley@cs.bris.ac.uk (David Hedley)
> Date sent:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 10:27:35 -0700 (MST)
> Copies to:      freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> > Has anybody managed to get a PC running PCNFS (5.x) to mount a directory on
> > a FreeBSD host using the standard nfsd/mountd combination? I can't get it
> > to work at all. In the end I have resorted to compiling the user-space nfs
> > server code that Linux uses and this seems to work OK (although directories
> > with more than 20 files seem to screw it up badly).
>
> PCNFS required PCNFSD or PCNFSD functionality.
>
> On Linux, the functionality is "almost there" (as you found out) in the
> user space daemon.
>
> On BSD, you *must* run the PCNFSD.
>
> Luckily PCNFSD source comes with PCNFSD.
>

> I believe there are several ports (Sun, Beame and Whiteside) lying around
> already.

A couple of things that one should be aware of that left me banging my
head on the wall for a few days.  Perhaps these can make it into the nice
hypertext manual that is being put together on freebsd.org.

You MUST run mountd with the -n option so that it will correctly honour
mount requests from PCNFSD.  You should also add the -alldirs option to
lines in your /etc/exports files so that you can arbitrarily mount any
directories below the file system you chose to export.

  Andrew Webster   Network Manager / Special Projects
  Dataradio Inc.   200-5500 Royalmount Ave.      TEL: +1 514 737 0020
  Town of Mount Royal, QC, CANADA  H4P 1H7       FAX: +1 514 737 7883
  http://www.dataradio.com              Email: awebster@dataradio.com