Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/33582: i386 Release notes make no mention of AMD/Cyrix Processor support

The following reply was made to PR docs/33582; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 16:11:20 -0800

 If memory serves me right, "Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote:

 >  If any file should be modified it is the HARDWARE.TXT which lists all
 >  specific hardware supported by that version of FreeBSD.

 Yes, I assumed the submitter was a little bit confused and that he
 really meant the hardware list.

 >  FreeBSD for the i386 currently runs on a wide variety of ISA, VLB, EISA, MCA
 >  and PCI bus based PC's, ranging from 386sx to Pentium 4 to AMD and Cyrix
 >  machines (though the 386sx is not recommended).

 I personally had in mind fleshing out the entire section...here's what I
 have so far but I'm not sure how accurate it is...comments appreciated:

   <para>&os; for the i386 runs on a wide variety of

   <para>Almost all i386-compatible processors are supported.  All Intel
   processors beginning with the 80386 are supported, including the
   80386, 80486, Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III,
   Pentium 4, and variants thereof.  All AMD processors are also
   supported, from the Am486 and Am5x86 up through the K5, K6, Athlon,
   and Duron processors.  The Transmeta Crusoe is recognized and
   supported, as are i386-compatible processors from Cyrix and
   NexGen.</para>

   <para>Motherboards using the ISA, VLB, EISA, MCA
   (<quote>Microchannel</quote>), AGP, and PCI expansion busses are
   supported to varying degrees (in particular, MCA-based machines
   enjoy more limited support than the others).  Symmetric
   multi-processor (SMP) motherboards are generally supported.</para>

   <para>&os; will generally run on i386-based laptops, albeit with
   varying levels of support for certain hardware features such as
   sound, graphics, and PCCARD expansion slots.  These hardware devices
   tend to vary in idiosyncratic ways between machines.  When in doubt,
   a search of the archives for the &a.mobile; may be useful.</para>

 Comments appreciated...

 Bruce.