Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2011 18:06:56 -0800
From:      Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
To:        "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
Cc:        Rem P Roberti <rem@remdog.net>, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Redux

>>> Seems that you - or something - did make the switch from
>>> device names to labels. Maybe your kernel now includes
>>> GEOM functionality for work with labels? But I don't know
>>> of a process that changes /etc/fstab automatically...
>>>
>>> You can still use the device names for the /etc/fstab
>>> entries, you just need to make sure that you select
>>> the correct names (as you described above). Then there
>>> should be no problem as labels are optional.
>>>

>> Honestly, I certainly didn't make the change from device names to labels.  I
>> wouldn't know how to do that, although I gather from what you've said that
>> the kernel config file contains that information.  I'm not sure, however,
>> what you mean when you say that I can still use the device names, as the
>> system will not boot unless fstab has in it the entries shown above.
> FreeBSD is wonderful, don't get me wrong,
> but it is not magical.  Partitions don't just
> accrue labels and /etc/fstab doesn't edit
> itself.
> Are you running PCBSD?
LOL!  No, I'm running FreeBSD 8.1.  I know that this all sounds too odd,
but I swear that I never messed with renaming the partitions with
labels.  If you check back a few days you will see that I was having
trouble with an update, and that's where all of this happened.
> Anyway, if you want to go back to device names
> in the /dev/ad0s1[a-g] scheme you can extract
> the correct names with:
> geom label list
> (you might want to pipe it into a pager)
> then edit your /etc/fstab accordingly and
> reboot.
> Although, why bother really?  The label names
> may come in handy if you have to move the hdd
> to another machine to extract the information,
> or for various other reasons.

To tell the truth, I'm content to leave things as they are, but
unfortunately one of the side effects of all this is that I can't figure
out how create and entry in the fstab which will again allow me to mount
my other hard drive.  The former fstab entry for that was:

/dev/ad1s1              /c              ntfs    rw              1       0

But now with labels active I really don't know how to proceed.

Rem