Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2006 04:59:51 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        Nick Triantos <nick-gmane@triantos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Answering machine / voicemail --> email?

On 1/29/06, Nick Triantos <nick-gmane@triantos.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a decently fast server with FreeBSD 5.4.  I'd like to set up
> a way that the box can act as a voicemail server, and turn the messages i=
nto
> emails.
>
> I see Asterisk as a possible solution, but it seems awfully heavyweight f=
or
> what I want.  Are there any lighter-weight ways to achieve this?
>
> If Asterisk is the way to go, what's the cheapest modem card I can buy (f=
or
> a PCI Express-based Dell SC 420) that can answer the phone, and let the m=
achine
> receive these calls?  It's for use in my home, so it's only 1 analog phon=
> line running into the house right now.

You want the Sipura SPA-3000 ($100)
http://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=3D203

With this device and Asterisk you can convert your whole house to
VoIP, without needing SIP phones or analog adapters for each device.

Phone line coming into the house --> SPA-3000 (FXO port) --> SPA-3000
(Ethernet port) --> Asterisk Server --> SPA-3000 (Ethernet port) -->
SPA-3000 (FXS Port) --> Phones.

Download (513MB) and watch this video, everything will then make sense:
http://downloads.revision3.com/torrents/systm/0005/systm--0005--asterisk--l=
arge.xvid.avi.torrent

Go here too: http://revision3.com/systm/asterisk/