Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 13:25:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bakul@torrentnet.com (Bakul Shah)
Cc:        phk@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device driver open semantics...

> Most device drivers depend on a close() being the final close.  Any
> change in this semantics must provide a *significant* benefit to all
> -- not just fix a few esoteric bugs.  Adding more entry points would
> also further complicate the interface.
>
> Perhaps the bugs Bruce mentioned (+ things that make you
> dissatisfied with the way things work now) can be handled by passing
> some more state between the two layers?  May be a callback function?
>
> In any case, cases where the present *observed* behavior does
> not cause faulty, unintended or inconsistent operation should remain
> _invariant_ under any changes.  IMHO, of course!

I disagree.  The driver should not depend on the system doing
reference counting for it.  Mark me down as being "for" calling
the close once per close.  Reference counting is a very simple
modification to make, and there are great benefits to things like
CDROM writers that can also function as readers, non-bidirectional
sound cards, etc., etc..

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org