Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:34:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Subject:   Re: laying down tags

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 20-Jun-99 Chuck Robey wrote:
> > > Consider it preventative measures, several major overhauls of the
> > > VM, NFS and FS have occurred, had one of these mega commits been
> > > proven to be flawed in a major way it would have probably been
> > > extremely annoying to deal with, no?
> >  Maybe I'm wrong, it seemed to me I could merely note the time of that
> >  mega-commit (the one I woulc be bothered by) and ask cvs to roll back
> >  the clock to that time.  Zero cost in space to do this.
>
> Yes, but if I'm trying to track down a bug and I want to roll back
> my tree to before a certain commit a tag is much easier to deal with
> than a date..

I think I know Jordan well enough, he wouldn't have made his statement
without there being more behind it.  No one would consider that a fair
trade, all that huge bloat of the archive, if the effect gained was only
an easy way to remember a rollback timestamp.

I never saw the use of it in FreeBSD, which probably means we've been
lucky.  The only really great use of tags I saw, was tagging releases,
so that establishes a real solid pointer to each release timestamp.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |