Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:57:57 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IPsec/gif VPN tunnel packets on wrong NIC in ipfw?

Ran cvsup this morning (11/14/2002), built world, installed world, built
and installed new kernel, forgot mergemaster, rebooted, and my VPN to
another FreeBSD box was not working. Did not update the other box.

Discovered I had not done mergemaster on the problem box so did that
and rebooted again. Still have the same problem.

What I have found is packets that are supposed to be on fxp0 are being
killed by ipfw for appearing on fxp1 by this rule. fxp1 is my exteral
NIC connected to the ISP:

00600  14  1122 deny ip from any to 10.0.0.0/8 via fxp1

But if I add this rule in front of the above (so I don't have to retype
the above to add it back) then all is working as it once did:

00550   2   168 allow ip from 192.168.100.0/24 to 10.0.0.0/24 in recv fxp1

The above are prior to my divert rule.

Much later in my ruleset (after divert to natd) I was allowing these
packets via fxp0, the internal interface. Some are still going that way.

The distant end is still 4.6-STABLE and shares practically the same
ipfw ruleset and everything. Rule 600 doesn't cause a problem there.
Wasn't a problem before the latest update for 4.7-stable.

No doubt I'm lost as to how IPsec packets traverse thru these layers.
When setting the system up was surprised to find nothing came thru
gif0. At least nothing ipfw sees.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net