Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 01:08:04 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <Colin_Percival@sfu.ca>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: release variability

At 00:41 08/08/2002 -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
>Assuming identical source trees, and that the build takes place
>on systems installed with the same software, the only things that
>should be different are user, host, and time stamps.  The kernel
>is one place that's stamped; the boot code is another.

   Ok.  I'm putting together some code to identify out-of-date files based
on their checksums and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't miss any
"polymorphic" files.

>If you need to have confidence in this, and don't, then you
>can try it, and then NFS mount and diff -r the ISO images.

   I tried to make 4.6-RELEASE, but it has unfortunately broken due to
linkrot; http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/xhtml1.zip has changed since when
June, causing a checksum mismatch while building one of the requisite ports.

Colin Percival