Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 15:21:42 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcl81 port takes forever to START building

On Wed 1999-06-30 (00:12), Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 09:36:03PM -0400, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> >
> > You have to think of some way of putting the correct MAN[1-9LN]PREFIX
> > in front of each entry in MLINKS _without_ using a make .for ...
> > .endfor loop.
>
> It looks like I've found a solution to this.  time for a "make describe"
> on tcl81 is down to about 1 second and time for a generate-plist is at
> about 2 seconds.  Time for "make null" where null is a target that
> @${DO_NADA} does nothing is also at 1 second.

The reason for the long waits is the multiple "make" calls inside each of
the _PORT_USE macro users, like fetch, extract, &c.

I endlessly speeded up my tcl81 build (incorrectly) by putting the .include
between ".if target(generate-plist) || target(mlinks)"/".endif", but that's
not the correct way to do it (there're checks that decide whether to run
those targets which don't work properly).

I think the only way to really fix it is to cordon off all the make calls
to sed, awk, and other crunchers when you're not doing something that
actually needs that work to be done.

If you're really lucky, maybe you just need to work out where to put a
couple ".if target()"/".endif" pairs.

If nothing's been done on this in two weeks, I'll consider myself
volunteered.  (National Arts Festival/Grahamstown Festival is on)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za