Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:39:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: httpd pid

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, R Joseph Wright wrote:

> I just installed apache 1.3.  When I run httpd, everything appears to be
> happening properly, at least I get no error messages.  But it doesn't show
> up when I do 'ps -aux'.  Is this normal?

No, it's not normal but can happen. If there are no processes, there's a
configuration error preventing it from launching.

First run 'apachectl configtest', then check your httpd's error_log. If
neither indicates a problem, then check httpd.conf and look carefully for
typos in directory names, especially TransferLog directives. This sounds
like what's been submitted as Apache PRs #5258 and #5518, you may want to
check them out at http://bugs.apache.org/.

hth

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/