Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:06:40 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        gdonl@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis), Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

At 08:10 AM 1/21/2000 , Don Lewis wrote:

>I agree.  Failing to set RST makes SYN floods worse.  The victim machine
>will have more sockets hanging around in a SYN-SENT state that keep sending
>SYN+ACK packets until the sockets times out.  If the spoofed clients send
>RST packets in response, then the server will immediately nuke these
>sockets and won't have their incoming bandwidth consumed by the packets
>they are ignoring (they'll receive one packet and send one packet for
>each spoofed SYN instead of receiving N packets and sending none if they
>don't send RST packets).

Good point! But should we rely on the hosts sending RSTs? Many SYN floods
intentionally use unregistered IPs, for just this reason: a RST never comes
back. (But an ICMP "unreachable" message may, and this congests the victim
even more.)

>It's also a lot easier to spoof a TCP connection from a host that doesn't
>send RST packets.

Also true.

All of this sounds like a good argument for the application of game theory
to protocol design. :-S

--Brett