Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:40:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: installworld broken when upgradeing from 4.0R to RELENG_4_6

Hi,

> Did you take a shortcut and try to do your installworld before you
> booted to single user mode on the new kernel. That may not fix your
> problem but people won't worry about it until you have done it in the
> proper order.

I did a remote install without a serial console. This worked for 20
servers so I did it the same on this one. The other server where 4.3R and
4.4S

The order was:

make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
mergemaster.sh -p
make installworld
 errors after installation of /bin/test
then the sysctl fix from the previous mail
make installworld (this time ok)
and finally mergemaster and reboot.

So I jumped over the reboot step (as UPDATING says often is possible).
It seems that 4.0 is to old for this jump.

Best regards,

Gh. Ardelean