Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:06:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Damien DIXSAUT <damien@cristal.cristal.asso.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New kernel can't mount root ?

      Hello all, and thanks in advance for any help.

   For some reason (see my other message on this list :-) ) I would like
to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.6. I am currently running 2.2.2.

   I downloaded the 2.2.6 source code, it compild OK. I used the same config
file as for my 2.2.2 kernel.

   When I boot, the system can't mount the root directory ! I get the
message :

/dev/sd0a on / : specified device does no match mounted device.

   Then the system falls back in single-user mode.

   Can't I use a kernel of a different version from the rest of the system ?

---
Damien DIXSAUT
Computer science student
Paris, France