Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 09:41:40 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        john@o-farrell.com
Subject:   Installing FBSD on a second harddisk.

Hi there,

I'm trying to work out how to get a working freebsd on a second harddisk.
The primary hd has win95 on it, and the secondary hd is a jazz drive.
They're both scsi.

After running the install disk and doing the normal stuff the system
reboots.  I can make it boot off the second drive but as soon as it
trys to mount the root partition it flounders and panics.

I've noticed in the kernel config that there is a:
	kernel boot wd0
line, but my primary drive is sd0 so I'm confused.

What's the obvious thing that I'm missing?  Maybe Jordon could include
some extra stuff in sysinstall to allow this to work on the install.
I'm sure that lots of people out there want this functionality.

I've got around it on my P100 machine by creating a small partition on
my win95 drive to contain '/' and everything else in on my second 2gb
ide drive.  I wish that I could keep them totally separate though.

What would be really cool is if I could could have a scsi disk with
freebsd on, which I could change the id on and still have freebsd find
it's root partition.  What would it take to make this happen.  (Point
me in the direction of the right place in the kernel source and I'll
take a look my self if everyone else is too busy.)

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser
Technical Manager       Email: joe@pavilion.net