Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 03:39:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mwm@mired.org (Mike Meyer)
Cc:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org (j mckitrick), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D J Bernstein (was Re: quote about open source)

> > Looks obvious, but why didn't sendmail and bind get there first?
>
> To answer the last question - because they were written when only
> responsible adults had internet access, or "when we were all friends"
> (I think those are Eric Fair's words).

Yes.  SMTP servers are _supposed to_ relay mail by default;
it's part of making the net robust against single points of
failure, and transient outages.

The same goes for DNS zone transfers, actually: let there be
stealth secondaries, the more places my data is backed up,
the better.

The level of maturity of the average Internet user these days
is way, way below what it was, back when the NSF would prosecute
you for commercial use of your net connection.

> As for the approach, I'm pretty sure that those aren't original to
> qmail. WN & GN come to mind. There's at least one tool - I believe
> it's in the TIS fwtk - that ran an smtp daemon to accept messages and
> drop them in a queue, then ran sendmail to deliver them - the
> performance pretty much sucked, though. DJB was the first person to
> apply them to a publicly released MTA, though.

Actually, I'm pretty sure MMDF (Multi-Channel Memorandum Distribution
Facility) and UUCP used that approach, too.  So did Greg Haerr's
UCSD email system, back in the 70's (sending and getting mail were
totally seperate programs -- had to be, to run in small model on
a PDP).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---