Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:38:29 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -pipe switch in kernel compilation

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 07:39:40AM +0100, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 04:55:43PM +0000, George Cox wrote:
> > G'day,
> >
> > While compiling a kernel today, I noticed that the '-pipe' option to gcc
> > was not being used.  Is there any reason for this?
>
> I think this is the (historical) default, so that people with
> only 4-8 MB of RAM don't get into trouble ;-)
>
> Where 4 MB isn't sufficient anymore with a GENERIC kernel.
> You need at least 6 MB or so to boot, then compile a custom
> kernel and then, if you are lucky, can perhaps run with 4 MB.

FWIW: 3.3R ran (crawled?) in 4Mb. I tried it 2 months ago on a 386SX40 with
4Mb.

Compiling a GENERIC kernel was 5 hours or so ;-) That is when I gave up
on my idea to 'make buildworld'.

But still impressive, it was stable.

Wilko
--
Wilko Bulte 		Arnhem, The Netherlands	  - The FreeBSD Project
    			WWW : http://www.tcja.nl  http://www.freebsd.org