Date:      Sat, 07 Dec 1996 23:40:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/include utmp.h

> This is simply a matter of allowing someone to make the necessary
> changes to seperate the data from the procedures which operate against
> it, and seperating the procedures into logical units.

Sounds reasonable.  So let's talk prototypes. :-)

> At the lowest level, this means going to an rc.d mechanism for per
> logical unit start/stop/status and ordering.  You could support
> run levels at the same time, but it's not strictly necessary.

I'm not yet convinced that the time is fully passed for further
*incremental* improvements to the existing "flat" rc file structure,
some of the types of abstraction you're looking for being possible
with further extentions to the /etc/sysconfig concept, and without
taking the big political hit of arguing for something which smells too
much like SYSV for many people's tastes.

Please note: I'm not saying that a nested rc.d structure is a bad
idea, I frankly don't even care that strongly since I see it as a "six
of one, half a dozen of the other" kind of argument.  However, past
experience has (amply!) shown that anytime you start talking about
reorganizing the /etc files and even so much as hint at "rc.d/", you
might as well just kiss your proposal goodbye since it's only about to
be barbequed in the flame-fest which is sure to follow.

Let's start smaller and first separate knobs from labels in the
existing stuff, then see where people seem willing to go from there.

					Jordan