Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:28:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Lui <klui@cup.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changed boot order in BIOS and get kernel panic FBSD3.2

Hi everyone,

I currently have an AMD w/ Ali Aladdin V chipset with 3 IDE drives,
1 IDE CD-ROM, and 1 SCSI drive (off of an Advansys SCSI controller).
FreeBSD 3.2 is loaded on my 3rd IDE drive off the secondary IDE
channel, but the boot device is my SCSI drive which has Linux.
Confusing enough? Well, I load FreeBSD like this:

1. BIOS: boot from SCSI, which has Linux and LILO
2. LILO reads my FreeBSD boot sector off of my Linux file system
   which points to my 3rd IDE drive as the physical disk. I've
   had to play with drive numbers in order to get the thing to
   boot.
3. FreeBSD loads

My fstab and my kernel reference wd3 as my root partition.

To pave the way for FreeBSD 4.0, I wish to use my Linux drive as
my FreeBSD 4.0 installation while keeping my 3.2 instance on my
IDE drive. So, when I'm in my BIOS, I can set the boot device to
drive E and the system can find the FreeBSD boot loader and the
kernel loads, but it panics when it tries to mount the root
partition. I have Virus checking turned on in my BIOS and so
when the system tries to boot, I get a warning that the boot
sector is being written to. I don't let whatever process do the
write, but the kernel loads fine except it cannot mount root.
The syslog (which doesn't get written to disk) tries to mount
root from wd0.

My questions are:

1. Why is the FreeBSD loader trying to write to my boot sector?
   I don't get this warning from my BIOS when I boot normally
   through my SCSI drive and LILO.
2. This is probably a hardware-dependent issue, but when the
   kernel is loading, I do see that all devices are what they
   were when I "boot" from my SCSI drive. Are wd0, wd1, and wd3
   (wd2 is my CD-ROM) hardwared to their physical spots or do
   they change and shuffle depending on what my boot device is?
   For instance, one would think, given PC hardware, if I say
   boot from drive "E," wd3 could conceivably be wd0--hope this
   sentence makes sense.
3. Where is the root device kept? I thought since I have
   config          kernel  root on wd3
   in my kernel configuration, things should be fine. Is there
   any other place where my boot partition value is kept? Perhaps
   on my 3rd IDE drive's boot sector? If so, with what utility
   can I use to change its value?

I tried to check out what boot0cfg does but its manpage doesn't
document what its -v outputs mean. #, Flag,  start chs, type, etc.
Although I take flag means which physical drive number to boot
from. And if that is the case, can I use 0x82 to mean my 3rd IDE
drive, not counting the CD-ROM drive. Quite confusing to say the
least.

Any tips/advice greatly appreciated.

Ken