Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:03:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Scott Campbell <scampbel@gvpl.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail - Mhost map deferred (Revised)

Due to lack of sleep last night I have revised some of the wording to make
it more clear to those who are kind enough to try and help.

I am building a new mail server (4.2R) and am having a small problem with
sendmail sending mail out to my firewall.  It accepts all incoming mail
just fine and delivers it to the appropriate person.  Mail going to
someone else at our site works fine.  Once it trys to send mail offsite
though, the mail just sits there in the queue with the following qf...
file heading. It is also suppose to masqurade the domain as "gvpl.ca" but
shows the address from "gvpl.victoria.bc.ca" (old domain).

V4
T983171130
K983175523
N12
P990464
I13/131076/31245
Mhost map: lookup (victoria.tc.ca): deferred
Fb
$_scampbel@localhost
$rESMTP
$slocalhost
S<scampbel@pochta.gvpl.victoria.bc.ca>
RPFD:<uu316@victoria.tc.ca>
H?P?Return-Path: <^Ag>
H??Received: from localhost (scampbel@localhost)
        by pochta.gvpl.victoria.bc.ca (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id
f1Q75UM04777
        for <uu316@victoria.tc.ca>; Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:05:30 -0800 (PST)
        (envelope-from scampbel@pochta.gvpl.victoria.bc.ca)

Here is the .mc file used to create the sendmail.cf file:

divert(-1)
#
# Copyright (c) 1998 Sendmail, Inc.  All rights reserved.
# Copyright (c) 1983 Eric P. Allman.  All rights reserved.
# Copyright (c) 1988, 1993
#       The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
#
[... snip ...]
divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`@(#)pochta.mc        2.10 (pochta.gvpl.ca) 2/12/01')dnl
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`gvpl.ca')dnl
define(`confIGNORE_DOTS',`True')
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:paperbox.gvpl.victoria.bc.ca.')dnl
MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`LOCAL', `+P')dnl
FEATURE(`nouucp',`nospecial')dnl
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa')dnl
FEATURE(`promiscuous_relay')dnl
FEATURE(`local_lmtp')dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl

LOCAL_NET_CONFIG
R$* < @ $* . > $*       $#smtp $@ $2. $: $1 < @ $2. > $3

And if you're still with me then here is a "trace" of the address using
sendmail -v -bt.  Note the Transient parse error.  Sorry that it threw in
the ^M's

Script started on Mon Feb 26 00:14:51 2001
pochta# sendmail -v -bt^M^M
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)^M
Enter <ruleset> <address>^M
> -d^M
> /parse uu316@victoria.tc.ca^M
crackaddr(uu316@victoria.tc.ca)^M
crackaddr=>`$g'^M
Cracked address = $g^M
Parsing envelope recipient address^M
^M
--parseaddr(uu316@victoria.tc.ca)^M
canonify           input: uu316 @ victoria . tc . ca^M
Canonify2          input: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
map_lookup(host, victoria.tc.ca) => host_map_lookup(victoria.tc.ca) =>
FAIL (2)^M
uu316@victoria.tc.ca... victoria.tc.ca: Name server timeout^M
NOT FOUND (75)^M
map_lookup(host, victoria.tc.ca) tempfail: errno=0^M
Canonify2        returns: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
canonify         returns: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
parse              input: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
Parse0             input: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
Parse0           returns: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
ParseLocal         input: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
ParseLocal       returns: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
Parse1             input: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
MailerToTriple     input: < smtp : paperbox . gvpl . victoria . bc . ca .
MailerToTriple   returns: $# smtp $@ paperbox . gvpl . victoria . bc . ca
. $: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
Parse1           returns: $# smtp $@ paperbox . gvpl . victoria . bc . ca
. $: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
parse            returns: $# smtp $@ paperbox . gvpl . victoria . bc . ca
. $: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
2                  input: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
2                returns: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
EnvToSMTP          input: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
PseudoToReal       input: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
PseudoToReal     returns: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
MasqSMTP           input: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
MasqSMTP         returns: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
EnvToSMTP        returns: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
final              input: uu316 < @ victoria . tc . ca >^M
final            returns: uu316 @ victoria . tc . ca^M
parseaddr: queuing message^M
uu316@victoria.tc.ca... Transient parse error -- message queued for future
delivery^M
parseaddr-->bfbfe714=uu316@victoria.tc.ca:^M
        mailer 3 (smtp), host `paperbox.gvpl.victoria.bc.ca.'^M
        user `uu316@victoria.tc.ca', ruser `<null>'^M
        state=QUEUEUP, next=0, alias 0, uid 0, gid 0^M
        flags=180<QPINGONFAILURE,QPINGONDELAY>^M
        owner=(none), home="(none)", fullname="(none)"^M
        orcpt="(none)", statmta=(none), status=4.4.3^M
        rstatus="(none)"^M
        specificity=0, statdate=(none)^M
mailer smtp, host paperbox.gvpl.victoria.bc.ca., user
uu316@victoria.tc.ca^M

And if you want to see the sendmail.cf then let me know.  The DNS is the
same as it was for the previous version of Sendmail.  Which means that it
can resolve anything inside the firewall but nothing in the outside world
(which is the job of the firewall).

Thank you for any assistence on this - I've been reading sendmail.org and
the FreeBSD archives of mailling lists without success.

Scott E. Campbell
Computer Operations
Greater Victoria Public Library
Victoria BC CANADA