Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 21:53:59 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        mikel@cynet.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: To IP or not to IP WWW servers

Hi Mikel,

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998 mikel@cynet.net.au wrote:

> With IP space dwindling what are the lists thoughts on using individual IP

IP address space is not dwindling as much as people think.  As far as
class C address allocations go, we are about 2/3 of the way through the
address space 192-223.  However, large ISPs are being allocated class A
networks for subdivision, and the real problem is routing table
management, whereby ISPs don't adequately aggregate the networks they
advertise.

In Australia the problem was magnified by the policy of AARnet to
allocate IPs to anyone who requested until last year, when it suddenly
became impossible for even small ISPs to get addresses.

If you want to do virtual ftp or telnet, you *must* use IPs.  If you
intend having lots of web servers, get a netblock from your upstream ISP
(Connect.com.au, I believe)

> Also, at what point do the practical limits start getting reached with
> aliasing IPs onto the VWS server card, or are they sufficiently high that
> other issues such as capacity/reliability come into play first?

If you are putting lots of web servers on, you would do better to put the
/24 or more onto lo0 and treat the web server machine's ethernet IP
address as the gateway to the web network.

A couple of years ago someone tested FreeBSD 2.0.5 with 5000 IP addresses
with no ill effects.  After that it got too boring an exercise for them to
continue.

Cheers,

Danny