Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 01:25:00 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Serial port problems with 4.0

> On 19 April 2000, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> : I suspect on a real tty, this will have problems after ``opening ->
> : carrier'' !  Does ``set cd off'' make any difference ?  If it does,
> : that's a bug.
>
> Here's a dump of a ppp session:
>
> bash-2.03# ppp
> Working in interactive mode
> Using interface: tun0
> ppp ON mrs-hudson> set log local phase
> ppp ON mrs-hudson> term
> Phase: bundle: Establish
> Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
> Phase: deflink: Connected!
> deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaa0
> Type `~?' for help
> Phase: deflink: opening -> carrier
> Phase: deflink: /dev/cuaa0 doesn't support CD
> Phase: deflink: carrier -> ready
> atdt3418903
> CONNECT 115200
>                <Nothing happened, so I stopped it>

I assume you haven't got any ``set openmode passive'' lines in your
config.  This would certainly cause this.  Otherwise, try setting
``debug'' and ``physical'' logging.  What does it say then ?

> In ppp.log on my other machine (3.4 where it's all fine), I see lines
> like, "tun0: Phase: deflink: /dev/cuaa1: CD detected."  So what's up with
> the carrier detect here, I don't know.

There should be no carrier detected.  Now that I'm in a position to
check what happens, I see that basically you'll always see no carrier
at the ``term'' bit (there is no carrier after all), but as carrier
is optional by default, that's ok.

There's a problem that ppp never checks for carrier - even after it
receives its first LCP packet, but I don't think this has anything to
do with your problem.  To exercise this, try ``set cd 1!'' and then
``term''.  It'll never succeed (unless you're already connected).

The increased logging mentioned above may tell us more about your
problem....

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>