Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 15:51:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Byron Halbower <byron@crctraining.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tech Support

On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, Byron Halbower wrote:

> I have reciently purchased and installed FreeBsd . I created a user that I
> would like to remove. I have edited the passwd file and commented out that
> user, but he still can login. Please reply with step by step instructions
> for removing a user.
>
> I would also like to allow a user access to a specific directory but I am
> having alittle trouble with it.
>
> Is there any daemons available that would help me with administration on my
> unix machine at a graphic level?

I never heard of a comment feature in the passwd file.  I really hope you
used vipw to edit it, tho, because FreeBSD doesn't operate from that
file, rather a database file that is created from it.  vipw automatically
calls utilities to rebuild that database after the editing, any other
editor does not.

Removing a user means simply deleting that user's line in the passwd file
(using vipw!).  Take a look at the man page for the passwd file by entering:

man 5 passwd

at the prompt.  The last two fields are, in order, the user's home
directory (their login directory), then the user's shell (the program
called for the user at login.  If you're unsure of yourself, don't worry,
read the man page, then ask again, we'll help.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |