Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:29:07 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Powerbook Setup

On Monday 18 October 2004 06:08 pm, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 11:34:08PM +0200, Andi Scharfstein wrote:
> > I was wondering if there was any advice you'd want to give an Apple
> > newbie.

<snipping flamebait>

FWIW, I'm reading and replying to this e-mail via kmail running over an X11
ssh tunnel on my powerbook.  My Dell laptop just about falls apart in my
hands now due to cheaper construction and cannot be safely used as a mobile
machine anymore.  This powerbook, OTOH, seems to be the best constructed
notebook I've ever used.  (My newer PC laptop from Alienware is also starting
to show some physical stress fractures and what not and it's the same age as
the powerbook.)  The powerbook is also much lighter than my "luggables" while
mostly giving me what I want most out of my "luggables": screen real estate.
The only downside is that the built-in 802.11b antennae are noticeably
shielded by the frame.

As far as OS X goes, it's handling of multiple displays (like TV out or VGA
out plus LCD) is phenomenal and very intuitive.  The power management is also
quite good and actually works.  (The BIOSen on both of my PC laptops is
busted such that they report capacity but don't properly report the usage and
charge rates so I never get remaining battery time in FreeBSD.)  Also,
suspend/resume just works.

As far as the "brain drain" claim:  I'd be very careful what you say about
that.  One of the biggest "drains" has probably been Mike Smith.  However, he
still participates in side conversations every once in a while and still
shows up for the occasional conference in which he still provides excellent
input. Also, FWIW, if it weren't for Mike (and a few others) talking me into
coming out to California to give WC/BSDi a try, I would probably have spent
the last few years working on industrial monitoring embedded systems instead
of the FreeBSD kernel.  Granted, if I weren't around the work would still
have gotten done, but I think its a fair statement that my (and others')
current contributions are due at least in part to Mike, Jordan, and others.

Also, Apple has given back to the BSDs.  Their modifications to existing BSD
code have been released under the BSD license resulting in bug fixes to
msdosfs and smbfs for example being merged back into FreeBSD.  There is lots
more in Darwin for enterprising individuals to merge back if they wish as
well.