Date:      Thu, 27 May 2004 00:22:17 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, sub00@freeode.co.uk
Subject:   Re: xfce4 port expat/p5-XML-Parser problem

--Boundary-02=_eiRtAuGaUOPtQmy

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 23:02, John Murphy wrote:

> Thanks again Michael.  It worked and the install completed.  Seems there
> are still references to libexpat.so.4 though as I cant run an xfterm and
> when I close the session there is a libexec/ld-elf.so.1:Shared object
> "libexpat.so.4" not found error for every time I tried to.
>
> Would a make deinstall and make reinstall in /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4 fix
> it?

You can find out which port/package installed which file by doing pkg_info=
=20
=2DW /path/to/file. xfterm is installed by x11-wm/xfce - since you seem to=
=20
actually want xfce4 you should perhaps just deinstall xfce completely and u=
se=20
xfterm4, which is xfce4's terminal application?

However, if you actually meant xfterm4, that belongs to sysutils/xfce4-util=
s,=20
so you should try reinstalling that (x11-wm/xfce4 is a so-called metaport=20
which exists mainly to facilitate installing a collection of other ports -=
=20
deinstalling and reinstalling it will not change/update any of the ports=20
which actually provide the programs/data).

However, sometimes you may find that even after recompiling, a binary still=
=20
references a shared library which doesn't exist anymore. This can happen if=
 a=20
different shared library this binary links to is itself linked to the=20
nonexistent lib. You can find out to what libraries a binary is linked by=20
doing ldd /path/to/binary. You can then again find out with ldd which of=20
those libraries link to what other libraries, eventually finding the one=20
which references the obsolete library, which you can then find the respecti=
ve=20
port for with pkg_info -W and recompile (of course you can also ldd and gre=
p=20
your way through /usr/local/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib).

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org