Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:58:32 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@googlemail.com>, "Clive Ashbolt \(Work\)" <clive.ashbolt@t-systems.com>, Boris Kochergin <spawk@acm.poly.edu>, mobile@freebsd.org, Tino Engel <tino.engel@porno-muenchen.de>, brucec@freebsd.org, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: powerd to use sysctl to import temps to drop freq to avoid heat crash

On 03.01.2012 05:32, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote
>> If you disabled acpi_throttle0 in loader, you won't get all those N/8
>> rates from throttling.  I'm not sure, esp on AMD hardware, whether those
>> rates actually provide any cooling benefit or not.  I guess you've read
>> mav@'s power tuning guide for hints on reducing power (thus, heat)?
>
> No I haven't. but thanks for tip I found
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/power.pdf
> 		In Russian (or some kind of Cyrillic) I only have E&
> 		German&  French.  I'll page through&  look at syntax :-)
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/power.prd
> 		file power.prd:
> 			 CDF V2 Document, Little Endian, Os 0,
> 			 Version: 1.0, Code page: -535
> 		viewed with OpenOffice. whhatever it is, not useful for this.

That's my presentation about the same topic in Russian for KyivBSD 2010
conference. The mentioned guide in English can be found here:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption

I've just added there some points about AMD C1E state and its support in
FreeBSD 8.x and 9.x from my knowledge. Unluckily I never had laptop with
AMD CPU to really test power management there.

--
Alexander Motin