Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 1995 23:48:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: rmail(1) and sendmail -bi

As Joe Greco wrote:

> > All this went very fine, so what's the point that our rmail uses the
> > conservative approach (-odq) only?

> There was a mini-flamewar a while back about this.

I remember this one, but don't remember the arguments people had.

> ..  It is possible to cause much
> grief with modes other than -odq with rmail, particularly if one is
> unfortunate enough to get several uuxqt sessions going and you suddenly have
> a dozen sendmails concurrently trying to hog system resources.  Even -odq
> suffers from this a little bit.

But i think the _average_ FreeBSD box (is there any? :-) is not going
to suffer from this, instead people will be wondering why the just-
arrived UUCP mails are not yet delivered.  The default -q30m is _way_
too large for this.

I think if someone is setting up a UUCP dialin machine where it's
possible to start 30 concurrent uuxqt's, but he only uses a 386sx/16
with 4 MB RAM for this, he gets what he deserves. >:-)

sendmail -odi instead of -odq does only increase the system load by
one additional process, and they don't even run concurrently.  The
only difference to -odq is, that sendmail und uuxqt will run alter-
nately (as opposed to the sequence of first doing all uuxqt jobs and
then, some time later, all mail jobs).

> *I'D* like an rmail which can deal with an RFC822 formatted message, without
> all the From line crud.  I've been hacking around this myself.

rm -f /bin/rmail
cat > /bin/rmail
#!/bin/sh

exec /usr/sbin/sendmail -odi $*
^D
chmod 755 /bin/rmail

:-)

[I'm using this one on the main server in our company.]

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/