Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 1994 12:30:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error building libncurses

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> There is a pre-pass that's done in the beforeinstall that moves the
> right include files into place.  And no, I can't say I've ever liked it
> either, but I have nothing better to suggest for now..

Thanks, Jordan.  I've discovered "make world" and it's been building
for about 8 hours now.  It seems that make world first wants to
remove all the object files to begin a full build.

Is 'make world' something that must be done after every 'sup'?  Or, it
is safe to 'sup' then do "make all" skipping the object removal part?

I'm sure it depends on just what 'sup' has updated (e.g. libraries
that should be relinked into all the executables).  Is there a roadmap
for updates and rebuilds so I don't have to bother you folks with such
basic things?

> No, it's not quite _that_ pathological.. :-)

I didn't think so, but wanted to make sure.

> I suggest `make world', myself.  This will also do all the beforeinstall
> stuff.

Yup -- it's progressing nicely.

BTW, where's the manual for "tar"?  The built-in "--help" is okay, but
I'm interested in the details such as which levels of gzip compression
are used when you include the 'z' flag, etc.  Thanks.