Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:18:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freefall.FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        afuchs@totum.plaut.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq Integrated Netflex Ethernet Card (fwd)

> On Apr 29, Alexander Fuchsstadt <afuchs@totum.plaut.de> wrote:
> > Does anybody know about a compatible freeBSD-driver for the Compaq
> > Integrated Netflex Ethernet Card?
> > It's an ethernet card integrated on some newer Pentium 166 Compaq boards
> > which are shiped with a pci Matrox videocard and an Adaptec 2940
> > scsi-controler (mounted both in pci-slots).
>
> Standard answer: Send a verbose boot message log,
> and we'll be able to find out what kind of chip
> that is, without the need to buy such a box just
> for that purpose :)
>
> Compaq used Lance compatible chips, before, which
> are automatically attached by FreeBSD 2.x and newer.

Not for anything lower than 2.1.6, at least.  Compaq use some variant
of PCI 2, and wasn't detected without kernel patches until at least
2.1.6, possibly 2.1.7.  I've run one of those cards since 2.1.0 - work
quite OK.  (Reception errors on a moderately loaded Ethernet about 5
times a day, causing a retransmitted packet.  About 1MB/s for SMB
transfers - quite OK :)

This was the old NetFlex controllers, on the ProSignia 300 in this
case.

Eivind.