Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 11:31:44 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Questions to doc? It's our fault

Have you noticed increasing numbers of questions posted to freebsd-doc?
Do you really think these newcomers clicked their way through the web
site until they got down to the list charters, and decided that
freebsd-doc was more appropriate than freebsd-questions? Not likely!

I think they're coming from mailto.html. Many of the pages have a link at
the bottom for asking questions. That link in most cases leads to
mailto.html which has two paragraphs. They go there, see an email link in
the first paragraph, and click on it. Note also that they are not given
the slightest suggestion that their mail might be going to a public list
rather than to an individual.

Apart from considering this when responding to questions posted here, I
think we should reverse the order of those two paragraphs in mailto.html
so that people will write to -questions as intended, instead of -doc.
I'd also think it fairer to advise people that they are in fact posting
to a mailing list. I'm not sure why others don't think that's necessary.

So how do changes like this get made?

By the way, there is a big lie on that page :-) It says that mail to
freebsd-info@freebsd.org will do something. It doesn't. Does anyone know
what's going on here?

--

Regards,