Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:17:01 -0700
From:      Leonard Chung <leonard@ssl.berkeley.edu>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad IDE Drive

I've had good luck with Quantum and IBM IDE drives. I've had mixed results
with Maxtor HDs (not in terms of reliability but with extremely high
latency on their controller), along with WD hard drives. Some WD hard
drives are actually relabeled IBM IDE HDs, so YMMV. The easy way to tell
the difference is if you look at the PCB and find that one of the chips is
covered by a yellow plastic cover, then it's likely an IBM HD.

Leonard

--
Leonard Chung - <leonard@ssl.berkeley.edu>
SETI@home - The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence @ home