Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 21:57:32 +1100 (EST)
From:      Josh S <farside@minotaur.labyrinth.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.4 hangs on "Loading kernel..." - SCSI problems?

Howdy All,

I'm working with a machine of the following configuration at present
(running FreeBSD 3.4) -

Pentium III 450mhz CPU
Asus P2B-DS Motherboard with onboard AIC 7890 Adaptec SCSI controller
(LVD et al)
2 x 9 gig Seagate Barracuda SCSI drives (da0 and da1 off the 7890)
(model # ST39175LW)
Adaptec 2930 PCI controller card with a Sony SDT 5000 DAT tape drive off
the narrow SCSI
port
256mhz amicroe RAM
Cirrus SVGA PCI vid card
Intel EtherExpress 10/100 network card

Aside from the multiple troubles I have had getting the thing working,
it seems our original motherboard was faulty and fried one of the
original drives, I now have the problem that randomly, perhaps once
every 2 boots, the machine hangs at "Loading kernel..." just after it's
done the "Loading kernel in 10,9,8,7,6 ..." message.

I am confident there are no IRQ conflicts or anything like that, does
anyone know why this situation would arise? Are there any known
conflicts with FreeBSD 3.4 and the above hardware? Has anyone seen this
erratic, but still static (as it always happens at the same place in the
boot process) behaviour?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
-Josh S.