Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:40:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        ira miller <iramiller@pbsltd.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: un-tarring a file?

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, ira miller wrote:

> 	Sorry to bother everyone again, but I have followed the instructions
> in the man pages and can't get this to work.  I downloaded netscape
> navigator standalone, the file name is:
>
> navigator-v408-export.x86-unknown-freebsd.tar
>
> It was also with a .gz, but I was able to unzip that with the gunzip
> utility, following the instructions.

I've always had an easy time installing the navigator by putting that
file, still gzipped into /usr/ports/distfiles, and then going to
/usr/ports/www/netscape4 and doing "make install"

Has something changed?  Has it become more complicated?

By the way, the newbies list isn't for tech-support-type questions, even
if they are newbie questions.  freebsd-newbies is for discussion.  It
seems a little counter-intuitive.  I immediately thought to myself,
upon seeing that there was a newbie list, "Oh, great, a place to ask those
everyone-knows-but-me dipshit newbie questions."  But those of us who
subscribe to this list get a regular reminder that we aren't supposed to
let it become so.

  Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering