Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:20:10 -0500
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server MB suggestions?

--+B+y8wtTXqdUj1xM

> As a rule, do put AS MANY extra fan in a PC box as possible.

Agreed, but it's important to make sure you have the right balance of fans
blowing in vs. blowing out.  Most PC chassis have pretty poor "non-fanned"
venting, and it's almost ALWAYS in the wrong spot.  People tend to install
fans so they blow out (it's quieter), but having too many blowing out can
actually help things heat up, as the fans end up doing extra work trying to
suck air in from vents that don't exist. =20

In my opinion, you want to try to have a little more pressure blowing in
than blowing out - this makes the whole thing a little louder, but forces
more air to move around inside the case (cooling things), and helps a lot in
keeping the dust factor down.  Plus, it lets you decide WHERE the air is
coming in from, resulting in a lot fewer crap-clogged venting inlets.

(I have several cases here that I've cut an extra 3" round hole in to add
high-volume inward-blowing fans.  A bit louder than normal, but the insides
of these machines are really clean (I smoke), and the case temps are just
slightly above room temperature.)

mike

--+B+y8wtTXqdUj1xM

--+B+y8wtTXqdUj1xM--