Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:34:35 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        'FreeBSD-Questions Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE support the Intel PWLA8391GT NIC?

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 08:10:52AM +0200, Bj=F6rn K=F6nig wrote:
> Mark schrieb:
> >A similar question as before: does FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE support the Intel
> >PWLA8391GT NIC card?
>=20
> According to Google this card is also known as Intel PRO/1000. It should=
=20
> work with the em(4) driver.

Intel PRO/1000 is a whole family of gigabit cards.  The name for the
particular card in question here is the Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter.

If I have read the CVS logs correctly, support for this particular card was
added to RELENG_4 somtime between 4.10-RELEASE and 4.11-RELEASE (Oct 2004 to
be more exact), so it should be supported in 4.11-RELEASE as well as in
4.11-STABLE (but not in 4.10-RELEASE or older.)

>=20
> See also http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.11R/hardware-i386.html#ETHERNET

Unfortunately that document does not make it clear exactly which cards are
supported.

>=20
> >Earlier, I recieved a link to the FreeBSD site for 'older' versions, but=
> >only saw 4.11-RELEASE there.
>=20
> 4.11-RELEASE is the latest release of the 4-STABLE branch. There are=20
> only a few minor changes between the latest release and -STABLE in this=
=20
> case.

There has actually been quite a few changes (mostly fairly minor) in 4-STAB=
LE
since 4.11 was released.  Considering it has been almost 18 months since
4.11 was released, this is not surprising.

--=20
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013@student.uu.se