Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 09:46:51 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Charles Quarri <randy@hackerz.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Kaplan <kaplan@ricochet.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600

> Quoting Jonathan Kaplan (kaplan@ricochet.net):
> > Randy,
> >
> > I'm unable to get FreeBSD 2.2.7 booted/installed onto my Thinkpad 600.  I
> > can sucessfully boot off the CD, but the system hangs shortly after I get
> > through the configuration/conflict menu -- it burps out a short, rapid burst
> > of beeps and locks up.  Its a plain vanilla system with 96M of memory, and I
> > have RedHat 5.1 running without any problems.
>
> There is a problem with the way FreeBSD detechs memory on the ThinkPad 600.

The problem is actually with the way that the TP600 responds to the
memory probe technique that FreeBSD uses, but the results are the same.

> I was able to get it to work in the following manner:
>
> 	Install FreeBSD with just the built-in memory (32 Meg).
>
> 	Rebuild the kernel with OPTION "MAXMEM=xxx" where xxx is
> 	the amount of memory you will install (use the number that
> 	show up when the machine is booting with all the memory).
>
> 	Install the new kernel, shut the box down, install the memory
> 	and boot.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone that is running -current
on one of these systems; we have an improved memory-sizing algorithm
available there which it would be desirable to test.