Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:26:36 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Ben Eisenbraun" <bene@klatsch.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Lockdown of FreeBSD machine directly on Net

Ben writes:

> As a general rule, I try to trust as little as
> possible.  How long will it be before some bright
> hacker discovers the next flaw in the ssh protocol
> implementation?

Discovering a flaw and using it are two different things.

Beyond a certain point, it becomes more practical to simply try to get the
password by human means (tricking or bribing an admin, etc.) than by technical
means.  I daresay that a lot more passwords are discovered by glancing at
Post-Its in the machine room than by any technical compromise of any reasonably
secure login technique (such as any version of SSH).

Once you start encrypting things with any kind of real encryption, all attacks
tend to become harder by many orders of magnitude--so much so that I'd say that
they just are no longer practical compared to other, out-of-band attacks, such
as the human attacks described above.  Additionally, very, very few systems
contain such valuable information that they would justify any kind of technical
attack against encrypted protocols.

> Any time you're transmitting sensitive data over
> a network, you're opening yourself up to attack.

Encryption greatly reduces the feasibility of attack; good encryption and a
well-designed protocol can reduce it so dramatically that it just isn't
cost-effective to attempt the attack.  And once you get to that point, any
additional security is a waste of resources.